Discerning the Times
Tuesday 16th - Saturday 20th May 2017
(starts with evening meal, finishes with lunch)
Seeing clearly to pray effectively
The purpose of this event
The Bible states that "our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." (Ephesians 6:12) These powers are at work behind the scenes to derail, damage and destroy God's good purposes. They create strategic spiritual 'strongholds' to advance their agendas. They tell a narrative which shape ungodly expectations, attitudes and actions. Their handiwork can sometimes be seen, for instance, in areas such as:-
- Churches damaged by issues of control, immorality or division
- Areas of society, or parts of a district, that are governed by injustice, abuses and a climate of fear
- Ideologies that propagate hatred, violence and destruction - whether proactively or re-actively, regionally or globally
In the context of this spiritual struggle the Bible also states that we have a specific, strategic responsibility for prayer. We should "pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people." (Ephesians 6:18).
This Discerning the Times event provides practical equipping for playing our role in this spiritual battleground. It includes systematic teaching; insights and reflections; and opportunities for doing the work of prayer. The goal is to equip Christians with the intelligence and strategy for co-operating with the Holy Spirit in discerning and defeating these demonic strongholds.
Rev Dr Brad Long is the founder and primary author of the Dunamis Project, and has written two books, Discerning the Times and Prayer Strategy, which form the basis of this course and which address the specific example of Radical Islam. These draw on more than three decades of personal experience, often in cross-cultural contexts, of prayer battles to advance the Kingdom of God.
Rev Martin Boardman is Prayer Mobilizer for the Dunamis Fellowship Canada. He is a teacher for the Dunamis Project, and blogs Living By Prayer - Thoughts and pondering about prayer and the Christian life.
Things to know before you book...
The teaching builds on - and takes as read - foundational material from some of the Dunamis Project events, including such things as:-
- Worldview - the reality of the supernatural realm and our interaction with it, and our need for the empowering work of the Holy Spirit in order to be effective in our roles
- The dynamics of intercessory prayer, revelation, guidance and discernment
- The reality of the conflict between the kingdom of God and the dominion of darkness, which is core teaching from Dunamis 4 (Spiritual Warfare), including our authority and spheres of responsibility in prayer
Participants will be strongly encouraged to prepare themselves for maximum engagement at the event by reading and/or watching some introductory teaching, including:-
- Reading the book Discerning the Times (available here on Amazon)
- Reading the book Prayer Strategy (available here on Amazon)
- Watching some online videos from our teaching library (links will be provided)
This course is not for everyone. It is a foray into a realm of spiritual conflict which carries its own dangers. So you are encouraged simply to seek guidance from the Holy Spirit for yourself – is this something he is calling you to explore or to engage with? If it is, then please do book a place. And if it is not his call on you, then would you simply pray that those who are called to take part would be there and would benefit greatly?
(Starts with evening meal, finishes with lunch)
£212 per person (full board, shared room)
£157 per person day visitor (meals, but sort own accommodation*)
Takes place at the Community for Reconciliation, Barnes Close, Chadwich, Bromsgrove B61 0RA
* Bromsgrove Marlbrook Travelodge, Bromsgrove Hotel & Spa, and Premier Inn Rubery are all within 10 minutes' drive of Barnes Close.
Please contact the Administrator to enquire about booking a place on this event.
Mr Graham Hill
27a Prince Charles Ave.,
Kent ME5 8EX
Tel: 01634 685460